I’ve blogged elsewhere on my battle with PCOS and my struggles with weight loss. However, I wanted to document it separately here since I know so many of us struggle with losing weight aside from other challenged systems.
Why Essential Oils?
Essential oils can be a natural aid for weight loss and weight maintenance. They can have very positive impact on weight loss efforts when combined with healthy diet and lifestyle. Essential oils may aid in your weight-loss journey by helping to melt the unwanted fat, assisting in ridding the body of toxins and maintaining overall health of all the body’s systems.
Diffusing or directly inhaling essential oils can have an immediate positive impact on moods and appetites. Olfaction (inhaling) is the only sense that has a direct effect on the limbic region of the brain. Fragrance influences can penetrate the amygdala in the centre of the brain in such a manner that frequent inhalation of pleasing aromas can significantly reduce appetite.
1. Peppermint Essential Oil:
Best For Sweet Cravings and Digestion.
Peppermint essential oil has unique weight loss benefits. It is great for reducing appetite and helps suppress cravings. As we all know, it takes twenty minutes (on average) for the stomach to tell the brain that it is full. When inhaled peppermint works on that part of the brain. It is effective in creating serotonin in the brain that is linked with cravings for sweets.
A study on the effects of peppermint scent on appetite control found that participants inhaling peppermint essential oil were less likely to feel hungry and had fewer cravings than the ones who didn’t inhale peppermint essential oil. You can read more about that study here.
Peppermint oil is also great for relieving digestive issues and can sooth stomach upset.
How We Use Peppermint Essential Oil:
1. Since peppermint essential oil smells refreshing I diffuse a few drops an hour before each meal to aid in suppressing my appetite.
2. Peppermint tastes great and I find adding a drop to a large glass of water and taken throughout the day, not only reduces my appetite but gives a much needed energy boost too.*
Young Living Essential Oils are the purest you will find, because of this using one drop will be more than enough for a large glass (pint) of water. This is because one drop of peppermint is equivalent to 28 cups of peppermint tea!
3. To start my day of right, I use my D.I.Y. shower discs to energise and again aid in appetite suppression – I add 2-3 drops to each pre-made disc.
2. Grapefruit Essential Oil:
Prevents Bloating, Water Retention and Dissolves Fat.
Grapefruit essential oil is one of the best essential oils for weight loss due to the d-limonene found within it. It helps in releasing fatty acids into bloodstream where the body breaks them down and uses it for energy.
It has long been used for its many and varying health benefits such as: metabolism stimulating, detoxing the lymphatic system and burning fat. It is packed with Vitamin C and the powerful antioxidant Lycopene which helps detoxify and cleanse the lymphatic system. Toxicity in the body can lead to unwanted weight gain because our body stores toxins in the excess fat when it does not know how to release it from the body.
Citrus oils like grapefruit, lemon and orange essential oils help to release the toxins from our metabolic pathways. Along with natural weight loss management properties, grapefruit is known for its antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and anti-depressant properties.
Grapefruit is also a major constituent of the Slique Essence oil which I discuss further in this post.
How We Use Grapefruit Essential Oil:
1. I add one to two drops to a glass of water, which is not only invigorating and refreshing but helps to flush out toxins and burn fat.
Top Tip: If you add any citrus oil to any drink, you will need use a glass, not a plastic cup, since they break down petrochemicals. This is great for the body, not so great for the cup!
2. I add 20 drops to a cup of coconut oil and massage in to areas affected by cellulite.
NB. Please be aware that citrus oils are photosenstive. Do not expose skin with citrus oils on for at least 24 hours.
3. Add 5 drops of grapefruit essential oil to your (hot) bath, combining it with 5 drops of ginger, 5 drops of orange, 5 drops of sandalwood and 5 drops of lemon essential oil for an anti-cellulite bath. Be sure to combine your oils with a cup of Epsom salts before adding to your bath, to ensure the oils disperse throughout the water and do not just sit on the top. Since Epsom salts aid in the detoxing of the body, make sure you are well hydrated, before, during and after your bath.
3. Lemon Essential Oil:
Energy Boosting, Mood lifting, Fat Burning.
Like grapefruit essential oil, lemon oil contains d-Limonene and is full of minerals and vitamins.
Lemon essential oil aids in weight loss by assisting with various digestive ailments, balancing your metabolism and increasing energy levels. It helps eliminate toxins which may be carried in the fat cells.
The Smell & Taste Treatment and Research Institute of Chicago found that inhaling lemon (and peppermint) essential oil scent provides an effective way to suppress the appetite in a natural, non-invasive way.
How We Use Lemon Essential Oil:
1. I often add a few drops of lemon essential oil to my morning face-cream to help wake me up. I sometimes use it in place of grapefruit for my cellulite massage.
2. Like peppermint and grapefruit, I often add one to two drops to a glass of water. They are great for flavouring water individually, but also when combined.*
3. I often diffuse a mix of the three oils before each meal to aid in appetite suppression.
4. Bergamot Essential Oil:
Mood Uplifter, Improve Bad Cholesterol and Suppress Stress Eating.
Bergamot essential oil is a new found favourite of mine. This oil is extracted from Italian citrus fruits and it is perfect for those (like me) who eat when they are stressed. Bergamot is great for calming, hormonal support and for lifting a bad mood. When inhaled it can also help to relieve anxiety. Bergamot can be extremely effective for weight control because it contains extremely large amounts of the polyphenols (that are also found in green tea).
The high polyphenols content is great for fat oxidation (halt production of blood fat), increasing metabolism and preventing the absorption of cholesterol. Bergamot aids in inhibiting an enzyme that is linked with blood sugar levels, being more active when sugar is high which promotes the decomposition of sugar and fats.
Bergamot is a key ingredient in Earl Grey Tea and is what creates its distinctive flavour!
How I Use Bergamot Essential Oil:
1. I inhale this frequently when my stress levels begin to increase. I often diffuse after the afternoon school run to help calm the kids. I also leave a bottle in the kitchen next to the fridge and inhale before opening it for food.
2. When I am particularly stressed or anxious, I add a drop to teaspoon of honey.*
3. I have a roll-on with this and stress-away which stays in my handbag and is applied to the feet or neck frequently!
4. At the end of a long day, I often add a few drops along with lavender to epsom salts and add to my bath.
5. Slique Essential Oil:
Supports Healthy Weight Management, May Reduce Sugar Cravings.
Slique Essence combines the powerful essential oils of grapefruit, tangerine, lemon, spearmint, and ocotea into a unique blend that naturally supports healthy weight-management when combined with a healthy diet and physical activity. These ingredients work together to activate olfactory receptors and may help suppress appetite and hunger between or during meals.
Slique Essence Essential Oil helps to control sugar cravings and hunger whilst maintaining healthy blood sugars (already within normal range).The pleasant combination of grapefruit, spearmint, tangerine, and lemon adds a flavourful and uplifting element to any day. Ocotea essential oil adds an irresistible, cinnamon-like aroma and may help when feelings of hunger occur.
How I Use Slique Essence:
1. I dilute 1:1 and massage over my abdomen each morning.
2. Add two to four drops to water and drink throughout the day.
3. I inhale directly from the bottle (see note below) throughout the day when I feel hungry or before a meal.
Note: I do not diffuse Slique essence (in a water diffuser) since it contains Stevia Extract which can hinder diffuser performance.